Experience resort-style language learning in Costa Rica’s favorite surf town when you study Spanish in Playa Tamarindo.
Costa Rica has some of Latin America’s most beautiful landscapes, and Playa Tamarindo is no exception. Our language school sits at the edge where a lush, green Costa Rican jungle meets the sandy beaches of the Pacific Coast. In addition to affording extraordinary access to nature, the school is located within steps of Tamarindo’s shops and bars.
Spanish classes In Playa Tamarindo, personalized languages courses are offered in a newly-renovated, colonial-style villa. Spanish classes are held in rooms that open to tropical gardens. EF Playa Tamarindo was once a resort hotel and it maintains this vibe. The school wraps around a crystal-clear pool and the cafeteria serves traditional Costa Rican dishes. In addition to language classes, we offer volunteer work opportunities in ecotourism as well as special interest courses in Latin American cuisine.
Hip Surf Town
For decades, the steady swells of Playa Tamarindo have been drawing surfers from around the world. Today, Tamarindo succeeds at blending a large dose of surf culture with traditional Costa Rican living. Students from our school are within walking distance to the beach for long-board lessons as well as locales where they can get an authentic Costa Rican meal. The laidback vibe which surfers have contributed to this town has a genuine Costa Rican flavor.
Also a short distance from the EF school are the beaches and mangrove forests of Parque Nacional Marino Las Baulas, an important nesting site for the leatherback sea turtle. The blending of a beautiful coastline with a jungle interior gives Costa Rica an ecological make-up that is truly remarkable. Students will be able to venture into the rainforest to swim under a waterfall or take a zip-line across the roof of the forest. Exotic wildlife is everywhere in Costa Rica -colorful birds sing out beautiful melodies and howler monkeys swing from all the trees in town, including those over EF’s pool.
- Amazing location in a colonial building bordering lush forest with exotic wildlife
- Updated classrooms with the latest teaching technology
- On-campus residence has a private swimming pool and sun deck
- Organized excursions to Rio Celeste, Catamaran, Arenal Volcano, Nicaragua, etc. as well as horseback riding and canopy tours
- Short walk to the beach
- Minutes from shops, markets and nightlife in city center
Whether you’re making fried plantains with a local family or living steps from the Pacific Ocean on EF’s campus, you’ll feel at home in Playa Tamarindo where you can experience life as a local.
Playa Tamarindo is a nature lover’s paradise. Each day, you’ll be faced with the job of deciding between surfing the Pacific Ocean breaks, hiking to epic waterfalls deep in the jungle, or climbing to the top of an active volcano. Or take a day off and simply lounge around EF’s own pool. EF’s onsite activities coordinators will help you make this difficult choices and ensure that you see all Costa Rica has to offer.
SRU Program Requirements
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to study abroad, however, some SRU international partner institutions may require a higher GPA
- There is no class level requirement for study abroad at SRU
- Disciplinary files will be requested from the Office of Student Conduct, for each applicant, and will be taken into consideration during the review process.
- Please make sure to check with the Financial Aid (if applicable) for academic and other requirements that pertain to potentially receiving aid during your study abroad experience.
To apply for this program use the green 'Apply Now' button at the top or bottom of the page. You will be prompted to log in after which you will be directed to the SRU study abroad application forms and other requirements. Once you have completed all required items, and your application has been reviewed and approved, you will be instructed to begin an application directly in the EF application portal
(click "learn more" beside the program of your choice). Please do not begin an application with EF until you have been first approved by SRU.