Enroll in EF’s Spanish courses in Barcelona and be romanced by the unique charms of Spain’s largest coastal city
Live in Europe’s most cosmopolitan city by the beach while you study Spanish in Barcelona. The school were EF’s Spanish courses are offered is located in the Eixample district, home to some of Barcelona’s best shopping. It places students a short walk from several of the modernist masterpieces designed by architect Antoni Gaudí’s, and just three metro stops from the beach. The pedestrian boulevard Rambla de Catalunya is just around the corner, and here lime trees provide the shade for the sidewalk cafes which spill out into the street.
The school in Barcelona features a contemporary design, mirroring the city’s cutting-edge architectural flair. Spanish courses are held in state-of-the-art classrooms, and comfortable lounges encourage student interaction outside of class in a relaxed environment. Students might also choose to mingle on the expansive decked terrace, a perfect place to top up your tan between classes. Students also benefit from access to Barcelona University’s fully-equipped sports center.
Catalan Culture on the Coast
Once upon a time, Barcelona was a hidden gem, with only the savviest travelers including a stop here on their European itineraries. Today Barcelona seems to top everyone’s list - especially those looking for a rich cultural experience in addition to afternoons at the beach. Although Barcelona has become an international city, it has a spirit which is distinctly Catalonian.
The culture unique to Barcelona is on display everywhere in this city. Step into the sprawling La Boqueria food market and sample freshly sliced jamón Serrano and order fish that was caught that very day. Marvel at Gaudi’s masterpiece, La Sagrada Família, a surreal cathedral still under construction more than 80 years after his death. Then take in the view from the eccentric Park Guell, also designed by him. An evening out might consist of heading to Las Ramblas, the city’s main artery, and ordering from a long list of authentic tapas before joining locals for late-night dancing. With your cultural appetite satisfied, lay out a towel on one of Barcelona’s golden-sand beaches and watch the waves roll in. Has Barcelona topped your list yet?
- Modern school situated in the lively Eixample district
- Large outdoor terrace with seating and sun loungers
- Sleek, updated interior with state-of-the-art fittings
- Tapas evenings, Dali Museum tours, organized excursions to Montserrat, Madrid, Andorra and Costa Brava
- Short walk to shops, restaurants and art galleries
- Close to Diagonal Metro station, which is two stops from the famous Sagrada Família
Whether you come home to a Spanish family after a day at the beach or live at EF’s residence in the Sarrià-Sant Gervasi District, you will be warmly welcomed in Barcelona where you can experience the life of a local.
Everywhere you turn, there is something to do or see in Barcelona. Markets overflow with colorful produce and ring out with the sound of boisterous vendors. Grand boulevards are packed with strolling pedestrians and night clubs pulse with activity into the early morning hours. EF’s onsite activities coordinators don’t want you to miss a thing, and are onsite to introduce you to the best of this vibrant coastal city.
SRU Program Requirements
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to study abroad, however, some SRU international partner institutions may require a higher GPA
- There is no class level requirement for study abroad at SRU
- Disciplinary files will be requested from the Office of Student Conduct, for each applicant, and will be taken into consideration during the review process.
- Please make sure to check with the Financial Aid (if applicable) for academic and other requirements that pertain to potentially receiving aid during your study abroad experience.
To apply for this program use the green 'Apply Now' button at the top or bottom of the page. You will be prompted to log in after which you will be directed to the SRU study abroad application forms and other requirements. Once you have completed all required items, and your application has been reviewed and approved, you will be instructed to begin an application directly in the EF application portal
(click "learn more" beside the program of your choice). Please do not begin an application with EF until you have been first approved by SRU.