Enroll in EF’s Japanese courses in Tokyo and study in one of the world’s most exciting and fascinating cities.
Studying Japanese in Tokyo will open your eyes to a whole new world, where city lights shine brightly and the street life pulsates an electric energy. The EF International Language Center is conveniently located in one of Tokyo’s trendy districts - just steps from cafes, shops and sushi bars. You’ll also enjoy easy access to public transportation and cycling paths while studying in one of the world’s most vibrant cities.
Our school in Tokyo has a modern campus, and students will benefit from bright classrooms and an inviting student lounge. In addition to Japanese language classes, we offer special interest courses in Japanese culture, history and film to ease your transition to life in Tokyo. Before long, you’ll be using your new found skills to order traditional meals, ask for directions and befriend Japanese students.
Japan’s proud capital
For centuries, Tokyo has been the engine that runs this country, and it continues to power the cultural, political and economic life of modern Japan. Make no mistake about it, Tokyo is the world’s most bustling metropolis, and it pulsates with energy. Here modernity exists hand in hand with Japanese culture and traditions, evidence of which can be seen everywhere even if it is bathed in the neon light of the modern cityscape.
While studying Japanese in Tokyo you’ll discover a city that embraces the future while preserving the past. The latest Japanese fashions are on display in the busy Shibuya district, where people-watching is a must. Watch as a chef masterfully rolls your ingredients together when you pick out a sushi platter at the Tsukiji Fish Market. Bike to the Imperial Palace, still the seat of the Emperor of Japan, and then picnic under the cherry blossom trees. Go further afield on the weekends, venture a hike up the volcanic slopes of the iconic Mount Fuji, or snorkel around the coral reef of Uchiura Beach.
- Situated in the popular Shibuya area
- Modern classrooms with beautiful view of the Tokyo skyline
- Courses in Japanese culture, history, and film
- Lots of opportunity practice Japanese with local students
- Excursions to Kyoto, Nikko, Mount Fuji, etc. and Ghibli Museum tours
- Close to restaurants, cafes, shops and arcades
- Great public transportation network
Whether you come home to a local family after a morning at the fish market or live at EF’s residence in the heart of the city, you’ll enjoy experiencing life like a local in Tokyo.
Tokyo is a unique world city, full of diversity and with a culture, look and feel all its own. It is one of the boldest, brightest and most energetic cities on the planet. But behind the hustle and bustle of this mega-metropolis are opportunities for serenity found in the quiet teahouses tucked behind city alleys and the pagoda-filled parks that serve as the Tokyo’s green lungs.
SRU Program Requirements
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to study abroad, however, some SRU international partner institutions may require a higher GPA
- There is no class level requirement for study abroad at SRU
- Disciplinary files will be requested from the Office of Student Conduct, for each applicant, and will be taken into consideration during the review process.
- Please make sure to check with the Financial Aid (if applicable) for academic and other requirements that pertain to potentially receiving aid during your study abroad experience.
To apply for this program use the green 'Apply Now' button at the top or bottom of the page. You will be prompted to log in after which you will be directed to the SRU study abroad application forms and other requirements. Once you have completed all required items, and your application has been reviewed and approved, you will be instructed to begin an application directly in the EF application portal
(click "learn more" beside the program of your choice). Please do not begin an application with EF until you have been first approved by SRU.