Located just 20 miles south of Naples, Sorrento is the gateway to the Amalfi Coast and can be described as a paradise by the sea. Whether you’re looking to catch the train to Rome, or take a ferry out to the Islands of Capri and Ischia, Sorrento’s location in the temperate Mediterranean climate makes it a desirable year round destination for exploring Italian culture.
Start getting excited about:
- Coastal Mountain Town - The city of Sorrento is situated between the sea and the mountains, providing plenty of opportunities for swimming in the blue-green waters or hiking through the lush hills. Trek through the abundant lemon, orange, and olive groves as well!
- La Vida Local - Students are encouraged to get involved within the local community through a group beach clean up day as well as through several other service-learning opportunities.
- Specialized Courses - The Sant’Anna Institute has a robust offering of Italian language courses to meet you at any level. Not only can you expand your Italian language and history, but you will also have the opportunity to take unique courses in the Natural Sciences, like Volcanology
- Perfect opportunity to practice your Italian skills – From living in a local homestay with a Spanish host or chatting with locals at the numerous seaside cafés, the Semester on the Italian Coast program in Sorrento is designed to immerse you completely in the Italian language and give you a taste of what living in Italy is all about!
Semester on the Italian Coast, Sorrento offers two 14-week semesters, beginning in August, and January. You can easily find a semester that fits with your study abroad schedule. During your stay at the Sant'Anna Institute you will be captivated by the views of the Marina Grande and Amalfi Coast. Founded in 1998, Sant'Anna Institute is a private institute accredited by the Italian Ministry of Education and by Alfred State, SUNY College of Technology. The root of all courses is the experiential learning model. Courses range from studio art and art history, to lectures in business strategies and communications, and in-depth language and cultural courses.
As a CISabroad student, you’ll get outstanding support throughout the experience. We’re with you every step of the way with academic advising, personal help, and cultural counseling. We’ll make sure that when you arrive in Spain you start your journey right, by having a CISabroad staff member meet you at the airport and bring you to your accommodations.
Once settled into beautiful Sorrento, regarded as a paradise by locals, let your wanderlust take hold. Whether it's a weekend getaway to the quaint city of Campania or you're looking to catch the train to Rome, Sorrento is an ideal location for exploring Italian culture. After we help you acclimate to the Mediterranean lifestyle and orient you to the city, you'll have the confidence to roam the city like a local.
If you've always wanted to study abroad in Italy, we've got a lot of reasons to study on our Semester on the Italian Coast, Sorrento program. Here are just a few of the key highlights that make this program unique:
SRU Program Requirements
- Located in the walkable seaside town of Sorrento
- Numerous beaches and coves at your fingertips
- Discover miles of hiking and trekking along the Amalfi Coast
- Easy access to both the Northern cities of Florence and Rome, or the historically rich southern islands of Sardinia and Sicily
- Courses taught in Italian and English
- Civic Engagement and Service Learning Opportunities
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to study abroad, however, some SRU international partner institutions may require a higher GPA
- There is no class level requirement for study abroad at SRU
- Disciplinary files will be requested from the Office of Student Conduct, for each applicant, and will be taken into consideration during the review process.
- Please make sure to check with the Financial Aid (if applicable) for academic and other requirements that pertain to potentially receiving aid during your study abroad experience.
To apply for this program use the green 'Apply Now' button at the top or bottom of the page. You will be prompted to log in after which you will be directed to the SRU study abroad application forms and other requirements. Once you have completed all required items, and your application has been reviewed and approved, you will be instructed to begin an application directly in the CISabroad application portal
. Please do not begin an application with CISabroad until you have been first approved by SRU.